Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Adoption-A Question

OIY!!!  I just finished two masters classes!  I don't know what grade I got, but I am SO happy I am done with that!  I don't start a new class until 24 June, nice little rest.  I have also decided that I will be taking one class at a time rather than two...it is extremely hard to be a full time employee, wife, mother, and full time graduate student!  I am glad it was only for 11 weeks.  Yes, I am in an awesome program where classes are only 11 weeks long!!!  I know, be jealous.

Anyway, on to something more exciting.  I have been thinking about adoption lately.  Rick and I have talked about it...I have mixed feelings.  I think it is such an amazing gift to provide a loving home for a child who doesn't have one.  One of the BIGGEST positives is that I wouldn't have to be prego again!!!  Super plus!!!!  I have a childhood friend who adopted a family of three kids (I believe) and he posts about being a first time parent with these little ones...it is so precious and sweet. 

Then I think about the bond I have with H.  I look at her and see both Rick and me.  She is so much like our families it makes me want to cry sometimes...mainly just her stubbornness and laziness (pretty much both from me).  I think about how I got to bring her into this world, how we bonded even before she was born.  She is a part of me and me her...it is special.

I read a blog post by my bestie Laura where she was talking about her adorable son Jer.  He is still a little guy, so he is still her baby.  It was Christmas time and she was thinking about Mary having to give up Jesus.  It made me cry and I wasn't even a mom at that time.  I couldn't imagine what Mary had to go through, she bonded with Jesus even before he was born.  No one could love him like she could.  But is it that way for every baby and mother?

I read an article yesterday about one of the girls featured on MTV's Teen Mom (yes I watch it).  She has talked about the father of her 2 year old is not fit to be a father.  However, she was arrested for drugs and sentenced to 5 years in jail, but it was suspended pending her completion of a drug treatment program.  She decided it was too difficult to get clean in the program and went to the judge to have him put her in prison instead...WHAT!!!!!  I am just thinking of this poor little girl who has to see her mom go away to jail because she chooses drugs over her child!  Surely, in that case, someone else could love that little girl more than her mom.

Personally, I know people of adoption, my father-in-law for one.  I know his parents loved him, possibly more than anyone ever could love another person, and he is an amazing man for it.  I also think about my nephew who was adopted by my brother and his wife when he was about 3 months old.  His mom had 5 boys already and Tyler was supposed to be a girl.  The mom had decided if Tyler was a girl, she would keep her, but if it was another boy, she was going to give him up for adoption.  He was a boy and thankfully has a better life for it. 

It is hard though.  And what about the kids who are 5 and haven't been adopted yet?  I know a couple who were in the process (I don't know if they every did) of adopting a 5 year old.  By 3 they have baggage, think about the 5, 10, 15 year old.  Don't they need love too?

I know I won't solve this tonight, but I wanted to share some thinking on it and glean some feedback.  What do you all think?

1 comment:

  1. Sara, I really don't have much guidance on this issue. My only real advice is to keep talking this through with Rick and with God (the 3 of you together would be best :) ).

    I would also recommend seeking out and praying for God to send you adoptive parents to consult. You'll need their support anyway if you do decide to adopt. It's a long, grueling process, and you'll need encouragement from people who have seen the light at the end of the tunnel.

    Sorry I made you cry :( I had forgotten even about writing that post. Having that boy has opened the door for so many tender moments.

    Anyway, whatever you choose, God will bless. He wants His children to be loved and cared for, and you will be obeying that command. I'm excited to see which road you choose and to watch your journey.

    ReplyDelete