Friday, August 23, 2013

Last day at this job

Notice has been given, a replacement hired and trained, and today is my last day as a SAHM!  I start my new job on Monday morning working for the Air Force.  This is a new adventure for me, for sure. 

As with any job, I am leaving this one with mixed emotions.  I have learned so much, made great memories, been completely frustrated and out of my mind, but it was a good experience overall. 

Since February 1st, I have been a SAHM, H was 23 months old.  She was learning more and more words, getting into things, and getting ready for potty training.  Now, she is 29 months old and she is a little person.  She has a mind of her own, much like her mom, and wants everything her way.  She has learned how to use the potty, but sometimes doesn't...I believe sometimes out of spite for said mom.  She loves tv, Dora especially.  I can sing all the words to the Dora intro, I know almost every word to the movie Tangled, and I know what movie she is referring to when she says "rella", "puppies", "Mice", and "balloon". 

This job has allowed me to learn another language, H-ish.  I feel often that I am the only one in the world who knows this language.  This must be a marketable skill :)

What I will not miss: Meltdowns in the grocery store, fits because I put the wrong movie in, yelling because I didn't give her the right cereal, fights over nap time, cleaning up poop, cleaning up her room after said naptime doesn't go well and she destroys her room.

What I will miss:  sleeping late, random hugs, kisses on demand, funny actions like flying off the couch, successes like using the potty alone, more words in English.

I know I will still have time with my baby girl, it just will be much less.  I know that we will all adjust.

Why I am not a SAHM:  I have great respect for those who are SAHMs, I know I really am not the best at it.  With that, the reason I choose not to be is due to the example I had as a child.  My most amazing mother got her degree when I was 4 and her masters when I was 13.  She worked hard and showed me what that meant.  She was successful and always learning to become more marketable.  She actually got her first job teaching because she had taken a computer class in college that the other candidate did not.  She did it all.  She was there to tuck us in at night, made dinner every night, spent time with us, and encouraged us to be independent people and reach for our dreams.  She taught me hard work and perseverance.  She never gave up, she kept going.  I know a lot had to do with my dad pushing her, but she did it...she went to the classes, interviews, work, and meetings.  She did it. 

With that example, I feel very strongly that I need to continue the cycle on to H.  Everyone who knows H knows she is very head strong and stubborn.  She doesn't want help, "I do it".  I want that to continue.  I want her to see that she can do it.  She can work hard and achieve her dreams.  But at the same time, I will encourage her in whatever her dreams are. 

With all of that...it is with joy and sadness that I leave this job, like I have left so many.  I will go from full time to part time and will work my butt off during my hours of work!

No comments:

Post a Comment